Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil Hair Treatment

If you want long hair, virgin coconut oil is essential for your regimen. Virgin coconut oil has been used for many years by the women of India, who are known for their long, strong, thick hair. They tend to soak the hair from root to tip in coconut oil and leave it for several hours before washing the hair. They usually do this once a week.

There is no need to heat up the coconut oil. In clinical studies, coconut oil has been shown to penetrate the hair shaft with no heat (unlike many other oils). Just warm it up in your hand to room temperature and then put it on your hair. I've been using coconut oil for many months now, and here are some of the benefits I have had:

Stronger Hair

Virgin coconut oil has helped my hair hold onto precious protein. It's proven to prevent protein loss, which strengthens hair. I know this because when my hair gets too much protein, the ends get a little frizzy. Sometimes if I use coconut oil too many days in a row, the ends will become frizzy. At this point, I know it's time to balance it out by moisturizing. This is not a problem. This is actually good because you know your hair is getting the much needed protein.

Thicker Hair

Another great benefit I've had from coconut oil is thicker hair. When I comb my hair, less hair sheds out. My scalp is holding onto hair that it would normally shed, therefore making my hair instantly thicker. Another way coconut oil is making my hair thicker is by causing new hair growth. When you apply coconut oil to your scalp, it helps to clean the scalp and regulate the growth. It causes new "baby hairs" to start growing which I have experienced.

Hair Growth Rate

As far as overall hair growth goes, I'm in the process of measuring to give you exact numbers of growth.

Which coconut oil should I buy?

Don't purchase any coconut oil that is on the hair care isles in the stores. This is not real coconut oil and it won't give any of the above benefits. You have to look for coconut oil in the cooking oils section of the stores. If your local store doesn't have any food grade virgin coconut oil, you may need to order online to get it. You can get a nice sized jar for around $6 to $7 that will probably last more than a year, depending on how long your hair is. It's worth the money in my opinion.

Make sure the coconut oil you buy is Virgin or Extra Virgin, Unrefined, Expellar Pressed or Cold Pressed. These key words indicate that your coconut oil will be pure, organic, with no additives. Make sure the coconut oil is safe for cooking or hair care, because if you can eat it, it's pure enough to put in your hair and see results.

No comments:

Post a Comment